By Amanda. Since moving into our apartment in March, we've had this awkward angled closet that has been filling up with shoes. It's been a big ugly mess and I cringe every time I open that door to put shoes in or get shoes out. It's also a total B*tch trying to find a pair of matching shoes it that mess. I finally had enough last weekend and did some pinning on Pinterest to come up with an organized solution that would work in our awkward closet. I knew that shelves wouldn't work because we also have some random items that need to be stored in there (i.e. husbands golf clubs) so it needed to be something that could lay flat against the wall. That's when I stumbled upon this post. It's the perfect solution for what I was envisioning in the closet so I put the husband to work!
How we did it:
I went to the local hardware store and picked up some 8ft lengths of 1 - 2 inch wide pine boards, and some 1/2 inch dowel rods. I then cut the pine boards into 2 1/2 foot lengths so it would fit in our closet. Measure your own space and cut accordingly. I then measured out 5 1/2 inch spaces and marked them on the board making sure they were centered, and drilled 1/2 inch holes at a slight upward angle. Make sure and use a drill press and/or jig for this as you want them all to be uniformly angled. I then cut the dowels into 3" lengths and quickly sanded the cut edges to clean them up a bit. Use a rubber mallet and tap each dowel into the holes and if there isn't a snug fit, add a dab of wood glue to each dowel before tapping it in so they stay tight. For the bottom row I cut some longer 5 inch dowels to accommodate ours boots. Then take two of the 8 foot lengths and cut to the length that will fit in your space and mount your rows of dowel laden boards like a ladder. I measured the space between rows using my largest shoe to be sure there would be no over hang on the next row. Then mount the entire piece to the wall. This method saves you from making over a dozen holes in your wall. Our rack mounted securely with only 4 anchored screws. This took me a total of 30 minutes to design and build. If you are mounting it in a more visible space spend a little more on some nicer wood and add some stain to class it up a bit. Or if you can get your hands on some nice cedar boards they will act as a natural bug and odor deterrent.
***The total cost of this project was under $20.00***